November 26, 2013

PERFECT PEACE

PictureA couple weeks ago someone emailed me asking for my advice. They were struggling with some bad memories and wanted to know how I came to peace with my past.

I told her it wasn't all of the sudden. The truth is, the closer I am with God, the more at peace I am. But being close with God is a daily walk; it's a daily choice. Salvation is instant; you realize who Christ is, what He did for you, that you aren't worthy, but He loves you anyways and you need Him in your life and BOOM, you are saved.

BUT..... the peace of God isn't instant. It comes from knowing Him, loving HIm, and proclaiming Him. It comes from walking with Him daily. When I asked that woman if she was attending church she said no. I didn't quiz her much after that one question because chances are, if she isn't attending a church, she most likely isn't reading her Bible daily either.

Many Christians fall into that slump... I've done it too. That's how I can say what I'm saying. I speak from experience.

The problem is, when you are a Christian and living outside the will of God, you will be miserable. Simple as that. You can search for peace all around you, in people, your job, the bottom of a bottle, but you won't find it there because you've been called His, not theirs.

God isn't someone you can keep in your back pocket and pull out when it's convenient to you. He wants to be a part of your morning, afternoon, and evening, and in return He promises to give you peace in every situation.

PictureA friend came to see my husband the other day. He wanted advice because of marriage/family troubles. The problem is he wants God to show up in those situations, but this guy can't show up for church on Sunday.

My pastor, Joe McKaig says it best when he says, "You can be a Christian and not attend church, but you can't be a good Christian." I'm sure that offends some, but it's the truth.
ROMANS 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Walking with God is simple... pray, read your Bible, and attend a Bible teaching church. It isn't easy, but it is simple. The deeper you get into the word of God, the more it will change your heart and the way you view the world in every situation.

People turn to me for advice, but my advice isn't always what they want to hear. I don't have some magic pill, or a perfect poem to ease the pain. I don't have the "instant gratification" answer they seek. I have a book I believe in and if you want the peace I have then you have to read it and believe what it says.



2 TIMOTHY 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Picture

1 comment:

She Stands said...

Great word and an awesome reminder!!
GOd Bless you :)
Stacey