May 20, 2014

GLUTEN FREE RECIPES

Okay, here are some of my most popular recipes. Most of them I've found or been told and so I will try my best to give credit where it's due :)


Up first, my son's absolute FAVORITE gluten-free food!



CHICKEN SALAD:

1.5 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large or 2 small apples (I prefer pink ladies)
20-30 purple grapes
1tbsp mayonnaise
1tsp salt
1tsp pepper
(optional nuts: walnuts or pecans chopped)

We all have different likes and dislikes. Use whichever fruit or chicken best suits you. Play with the recipe until it's your form of perfection :) I eyeball this recipe, so measurements are very adjustable.

Boil water, add chicken and cook for 15 minutes. (make sure it's cooked all the way through). Cut chicken into chunks.
Dice apple (remove core).
Cut grapes into quarters.
Throw everything into a bowl and add mayonnaise.
Stir with a spoon until it's evenly coated with mayonnaise.
Add salt and pepper. Stir and serve :)

I like it best when it's been chilled. I've been known to make it in large batches because my husband and son eat it for every meal when it's available. Seriously, they go through it like crazy.

This recipe originated from SAM'S. I ate some of their chicken salad, loved it, and thought I could make it at home. This is what I came up with :)



CHOCOLATE CHEX:

1 box of Vanilla Chex cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (gluten free)
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla (gluten free)

Pour cereal into gallon sized ziploc bag.
Melt butter in pan.
Add chocolate to butter and melt, continuously stirring.
Add vanilla.
Pour melted chocolate, butter, vanilla into ziploc.
Seal well and shake it like a salt shaker.
Once everything is well coated, pour onto a baking sheet and chill in the fridge for an hour then it's ready to eat. (I put foil on my baking sheet to keep the chex from sticking)
I usually put it in a container once chilled. Keep leftovers refrigerated.

This recipe can be found on many of the Chex boxes. I've just tweaked it a little to make it gluten free.



CHEX MIX: 


(this recipe is too big to fit into one bag, so the instructions explain how to prepare for the large portion, you can half it if you'd rather)

1 box of Corn Chex
1 bag of gluten free pretzel sticks (I use Glutino brand which I get at Ingles)
2 sticks of butter
2 packs of Hidden Valley original ranch dressing seasoning

Pour 1/2 cereal and 1/2 pretzels into gallon sized ziploc. Pour the other half of both into another gallon sized ziploc.
Melt 2 sticks of butter.
Pour half the butter into one bag and the other half into the other bag.
Pour 1 pack of seasoning into one bag, the other pack of seasoning into the other bag.
Seal well and shake 'em like a salt shaker
When everything is evenly coated, pour 1 bag onto baking sheet and bake in oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
Remove that batch, store in container, and repeat with next batch.
Now you have a large portion of Chex mix to take to a party or munch on for days :)

My mother-n-law gave me this recipe :)


RICE KRISPY TREATS: 


6 cups of Rice Krispies Gluten Free cereal
1 package (10 oz.) marshmallows
3 tbsp butter


Have rectangle pan or glass dish ready and well coated with nonstick spray (Any size works, just depends on how thin or thick you want you treats to be)
Melt butter over low heat.
Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted
Add cereal and stir until evenly coated
Immediately pour into dish
Give it a few minutes to cool then use sheet of wax paper to press down until firmly packed in.
Wait until it's fully at room temperature before cutting and serving. (no need to chill or bake, just store in closed container)

Warning: They are very sticky. I spray a spoon with butter to help get it from pot to dish.

I took this to Wyatt's class party yesterday and they were a big hit :) No one could tell they were gluten free, but they had that fresh, home cooked taste which my hubs said was better than the prepackaged ones.

I got this recipe from www.ricekrispies.com (It's the original recipe, just switched out with gf cereal)


I'll post more recipes another day.




~Amber

No comments: